- RSS Channel Showcase 7609139
- RSS Channel Showcase 2185031
- RSS Channel Showcase 1588773
- RSS Channel Showcase 2857634
Articles on this Page
- 05/16/13--20:18: _Malcolm Latiff Shab...
- 05/20/13--08:16: _Afro Horn Returns t...
- 05/20/13--08:44: _Oakland Celebrates ...
- 05/20/13--16:20: _Malcolm Shabazz was...
- 05/21/13--10:00: _Marvin X reflects o...
- 05/21/13--10:36: _Official Malcolm Sh...
- 05/22/13--09:36: _Notes from the Mast...
- 05/23/13--09:08: _Baba Jitu K. Weusi,...
- 05/23/13--09:30: _Black Panther Party...
- 05/23/13--15:19: _UK Soldier Beheaded...
- 05/24/13--16:57: _Space Is The Place ...
- 05/24/13--21:28: _Community Archives ...
- 05/24/13--23:38: _Honor Student, 14, ...
- 05/26/13--08:13: _Was Malcolm Shabazz...
- 05/26/13--20:09: _Howard University w...
- 05/27/13--16:02: _Call for an Ad Hoc ...
- 05/27/13--19:14: _Now Available: The ...
- 05/27/13--20:22: _Who is the Real Don...
- 05/28/13--12:10: _The Black Scholar M...
- 05/28/13--12:16: _San Francisco Black...
- 05/16/13--20:18: Malcolm Latiff Shabazz's funeral in Oakland, Friday, May 17, 10AM
- 05/20/13--08:16: Afro Horn Returns to New York's Zinc Bar
- 05/20/13--16:20: Malcolm Shabazz was harassed by FBI
- 05/21/13--10:36: Official Malcolm Shabazz Video Presentation at Funeral in Oakland
- 05/22/13--09:36: Notes from the Master Teacher of Black Studies: Dr. Nathan Hare
- 05/23/13--15:19: UK Soldier Beheaded on London Street
- 05/24/13--16:57: Space Is The Place [Sun Ra Film 1974]
- 05/24/13--23:38: Honor Student, 14, Shot on a Bus in Queens, New York
- 05/26/13--08:13: Was Malcolm Shabazz Assassinated?
- 05/26/13--20:09: Howard University wants the Hare's Archives!
- 05/27/13--20:22: Who is the Real Donald Freeman?
- 05/28/13--12:10: The Black Scholar Magazine (Founding Publisher, Dr. Nathan Hare)
- 05/28/13--12:16: San Francisco Black Film Festival, June 13-16, 2013
This fund was created in conjunction with Qubilah Shabazz (Malcolm's mother); with the guidance of Hashim Alauddeen & Ja'far Muhibullah.
Not since reading with Sun Ra's Arkestra have I enjoyed working with musicians. Most recently, I read with AfroHorn at the Schomburg Library's tribute to revolutionary painter/sculptor Elizabeth Cattlett Mora. Francisco Mora's AfroHORN is the continuation of Sun Ra's musical vision. Of course Francisco was a member of Sun Ra's Arkestra so he is an extension of Sun Ra's world of infinite sound vibrations. I cannot wait to perform again with this group of avant-garde musicians.
SAM NESOME SOPRANO SAX
ALEX HARDING: BARITONE SAX & BASS CLARINET
ARUAN ORTIZ: PIANO
RAHSAAN CARTER: BASS
ROMAN DIAZ: PERCUSSION
FRANCISCO MORA-CATLETT: DRUMS
Oakland Mourners remember Malcolm Shabazz at California funeral
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Hundreds of mourners gathered Friday at the Islamic Cultural Center of Northern California in Oakland for a traditional Islamic funeral service for 28-year-old Malcolm Shabazz, the grandson of slain civil rights leader Malcolm X, eight days after Shabazz was beaten to death in Mexico over a $1,200 bar tab.
Malcolm X’s Grandson Describes Inhumane FBI Arrest
“I sincerely appreciate the care & concern of the People over my well-being after Press TV’s report of the most recent events which have transpired regarding the F.B.I.’s harassment of me.Given the storm of lies, and half-truths that come with being associated with being the descendant of El Hajj Malik el Shabazz, also known as Minister Malcolm X, any and everything that I do; great or small, good or not so good, real or imagined is subject to controversy. However, in this missive I will take this opportunity to properly & fully disclose what transpired.In the beginning of 2012 I had been informed that I was under investigation by the F.B.I.’s Counter Terrorism Task Force Unit located in Goshen, N.Y.The agents of this division-and in collaboration with others-have visited several residences of which I was known by them to frequent. However, they would never come when they knew me to actually be there. They would leave their cards with the residents asking them to tell me to call them, and then would tell surrounding residents to observe the house and to notify them if they saw me.These are the homes of long-time friends, and very close supporters. Yet, when federal agents begin knocking on someone’s door on multiple occasions to snoop, and ask questions, whether one is guilty of an offense or not, it’s enough to coerce people into distancing themselves from you. This cheap tactic employed by the F.B.I. is a means of agitation & harassment. They seek to neutralize my networking abilities.They have visited locations in California, Chicago, Miami and most aggressively in New York.People were advising me that if I had nothing to hide, then I should just contact them as requested and cooperate. Though I must say that in these kind of matters I am of a particular ethic. For one, I have been engaged in no criminal activity of their concern, and they could have located me if they so chose. Secondly, I don’t recognize the authority in them beckoning me.It wasn’t even until my mother informed me that they had been contacting her that I truly became agitated. She advised me to see what they had to say, and so I obliged the next time they came around looking for me. My encounter was with 2 federal agents of Goshen, N.Y.’s Counter Terrorism Task Foci Unit. The primary agent identified himself as Special Agent Tom Brozicky.They expressed concern over-as they put it-my “international travels”; I have lived & studied in Damascus, Syria for over a year, and now the U.S. is instigating conflict within the very same region; I went on ex-congresswoman/former presidential candidate Cynthia Mckinney’s delegation along with Dr. Randy Short to Libya, and met with Leader Muammar Gadhafi one week prior to N.A.T.O. intervention and I was most recently getting ready to travel to Tehran, Iran to be a participant of the International Fajr Film Festival and give a lecture addressing the issues of Hollywood and violence:- Modern Violence & Terrorism,
- Provoking clashes between religions & populationsI was picked up by authorities after I filed for a visa to Iran, and 2 days prior to my departure. A detective squad from the City of Middletown Police Department surrounded me in the street about 2 blocks from where I was residing. They asked me my name, and I gave them an alias, but they were already well aware of who I actually was. I didn’t tell them my real name because I didn’t know what was going on. When I was brought before a Judge of City of Middletown court I was surprised to be informed that I was being charged with Grand Larceny, and False Impersonation charge. Then I was sent to jail, and told to appear again 7 days later. Then following court date the bogus charge of Grand Larceny, which they only put to justify stopping me in first place, was dropped. And they left me to face the False Impersonation. I was offered 90 days for the offense of giving the authorities the wrong name which I declined before bailing out after 2 weeks.When I was being held within the belly of the beast on trumped up charges, to my rescue came the journalist at Press TV based in Iran. My relationship with powerful & progressive news outfit began in April of 2012, and prior to that I had discussions with their journalist regarding current events internationally. I developed a positive rapport with some of them, and as a result was invited to travel to Iran to discuss the impact of Hollywood in stereotyping Muslims, Iranians and African people. From January 15th through 18th, 2013, I was a featured interviewee for the Press TV documentary “The Façade of the American Dream”. And prior to my date of departure to Iran, Lifetime television released a television bio-picture called “Betty & Coretta” which was a sensationalistic misrepresentation of my grandparents, my mother and me. This film aside from being poorly acted, and shallow in depth also threatened to inflame old controversies, and open unhealed wounds and to remind the public of sad outcomes without ever identifying B.O.S.S.I., the C.I.A., F.B.I. and other forces that set the climate for my grandfather’s assassination, and made my family a long-suffering casualty of COINTELPRO, and other anti-Black repression programs. Naturally, anything done to stir up old hatred of The Shabazz Family will impact me as the name-sake, and first male heir of Malcolm X, and whether I am high or low in fortunes does not exempt me from this reality.The formula for a public assassination is: the character assassination before the physical assassination; so one has to be made killable before the eyes of the public in order for their eventual murder to then deemed justifiable. And when the time arrives for these hits to be carried out you’re not going to see a C.I.A. agent with a suit & tie, and a badge that says “C.I.A.” walk up to someone, and pull the trigger. What they will do is to out-source to local police departments in the region of their target, and to employ those that look like the target of interest to infiltrate the workings in order to set up the environment for the eventual assassination (character, physical/incarceration, exile) to take place.For several months prior to my arrest in late January, 2013 I faced a pattern of harassment from law enforcement which is usually reserved for important figures. On Thursday, November 1, 2012 @ 11:53pm in the park circle area of Middletown, N.Y. I was stopped by officers of the Middletown Police Department, and given a ticket for “J-Walking” (crossing in the middle of the street), which then escalated into a “Disorderly Conduct” supposedly because of the exchange of words that I had with the officers. I told them that they couldn’t possibly be serious for writing me a “J-Walking ticket”, that I didn’t appreciate how they were treating me and that theyshouldn’t be looking at me as less of a man because they were in police uniform. For this I was arrested, the officers stole the little amount of money that I had on me, they then stripped me and threw me in a freezing precinct cell for the remainder of that early morning. I was finally taken before the “Judge Steven Brockett” around 1:30pm. He gave me an unreasonable bail, and then ordered that I be remanded to the Orange county Jail.This penalty may seem a bit extreme or harsh to most of you, but here is where it gets worse: On Tuesday, October 30th, exactly 2 nights prior to this incident, the same officer “J Berman” who wrote me the ticket for “J-Walking” & “Disorderly Conduct” stopped me coming from out of a store in the same area, and questioned me as to what I was doing.I told him that I was coming out of the store. He asked to see what I bought which was a pack of sun flower seeds. I had actually just so happened to be eating a few while he was talking to me, and I spit one of the shells on the ground. At this point officer “J Berman” threatened to write me a ticket for littering. Needless to say, I was dumbfounded, but I went home that night.Yet, it still doesn’t even begin there. I had an encounter with other officers of the Midletown Police Department one week prior to officer “J Berman’s” threats to write me a ticket for spitting a sun flower seed on the ground: I was coming out of a restaurant with my mother, and her friend. As the 3 of us entered the car to leave 2 police cars converged on our vehicle, and boxed us in. My mother was petrified. With guns drawn I was then ordered to step out of the back seat. I asked them why to which they replied that I had several warrants for my arrest. I told them that they were mistaken, but I still complied with their request. Humiliated in front of all on-lookers I was then thrown on the car while the officers ripped through my pockets. After they were done they said that it was my lucky day because I actually didn’t have any warrants at all, and so I was free to go! One of these officer’s name was “R. Ribeiro”…You may wonder if it could possibly get any worse than this. Well, it does! Approximately 3 weeks prior to the public humiliation of my mother, and me by “R Ribeiro” and another officer of the Middletown Police Department I found myself subject to the discrimination & prejudice of Mayor Joseph M. Destefano of Middletown, N.Y. himself. A friend, and I went out to eat at a restaurant in Middletown, N.Y. which is owned by the Mayor, and to our surprise he appeared from nowhere and asked us to leave. When we inquired as to why he stated that officials of the Middletown Police Department told him not to let us patronize his establishment. Mind you that this goes without incident.As I stand for the people, God-Willing, I would pray that the same people wouldn’t hesitate to stand for me. If these unjust & heinous actions are tolerated & allowed to be done to me without recourse, then no one is safe. Just as Huewy P Newton of the Black Panther Party stated that police are in the white community to protect & serve, yet occupy ours like a foreign troop… I tell you that we shouldn’t fall victim to the conditioning of feeling inferior or fearful at the presence of law enforcement for no apparent reason.With that being said, I was not arrested by federal agents. I was taken in by a squad from the City of Middletown, N.Y.’s Police Department. I was not being held in an “undisclosed location” so to speak. I was actually being held in the Orange County Jail in Goshen, N.Y. However, from the time that I was booked at the precinct, to standing before a Judge the next day who told me to come back in 7 more, to being processed at the Orange County Jail and up until 7 days later I was not permitted to make any calls to notify anyone of my status; as though I had just been kidnapped from of the street.Unfortunately, until this day my family hasn’t been fully abreast of my situation as I haven’t had the opportunity to properly consult with any of them. Dr. Randy Short who notified Press TV of my situation is a close comrade of mine who was on our delegation in Libya. Media reports from Press TV about my situation were not intended to create controversy. In reality, I have a few associates that are affiliated with this reputable International media outlet, and they had expected to meet with me in Iran. So when I disappeared, and rumors spread, the inability to get concise information from a credible source prompted them to rouse public attention on my behalf, for which I am grateful. In April of 2012 I had the opportunity to be a guest analyst/contributor on Press TV. This network has a large following all over the world, and millions find it’s news, documentaries and programming to be both an educational, and insightful alternative to the conglomerated, and highly biased mainstream American & British news media. Regarding the Source magazine, nothing that they published was vetted by me, and was made by persons, at best, vaguely familiar with my situation. Further, I have never had an affiliation or relationship with The Source, nor have they ever directly consulted with me about anything.”
Initially, I was so devastated by the death of Betty Shabazz, I wanted nothing to do with Malcolm Shabazz. I am one who loved his grandmother, sometimes more than I loved my mother, so I could not fathom the idea of someone setting their grandmother's house on fire. Of course there are those who believe a more sinister force was at play, not the then 12 year old boy who was sent to his grandmother by his mother because she was allegedly out of control, suffering mental challenges and drug abuse, i.e., the dual diagnosed.
And then I heard he had come to Oakland under the guidance of a snake oil journalist named JR Valrey, sometimes known as a snitch but more often an opportunist and agent provocateur. JR had been a student of mine along with rapper Askari X, Ramal Lamar, Ptah Allah El and a few other young men I treated as my sons, especially since I'd lost one of my sons who took his life at 39 due to mental illness. I treated JR as my son and after he edited my video The Kings and Queens of Black Consciousness, rewarded him with a trip back east to a screening of the video documentary at the New York Independent Film Festival, September 8, 2001. Yes, from our hotel room in Newark, NJ, we saw the twin towers fall. On September 12, we attended the screening of my daughter's (Muhammida El Muhajir) film Hip Hop, The New World Order. And then after filming interviews on 9/11 with people
we questioned for their view of 9/11, JR got the bright idea to keep the tapes as his personal property.
After repeated attempts to receive a copy of the tapes was to no avail, I cut off my relationship with JR.
People suggested I just take him out, but my feeling was that I am here to save youth, not kill them, so I stopped speaking to JR.
Soon I saw him traveling with Fred Hampton, Jr. I had a feeling the Chairman of POCC (Prisoners of Conscious Committee) was in trouble. JR became the Minister of Information. As Chairman Fred and I had a cordial relationship, I never said one negative word to him about JR, though I prayed he would not suffer the same fate of his father, Fred Hampton, Sr., i.e., set up by a snitch and killed by the Chicago police as part of Cointelpro.
After some time, a year or more, Fred Hampton called me, saying he needed to talk with me. By this time JR had ingratiated himself with Malcolm Shabazz and they, Fred Hampton, Jr. included, had embarked on a national and international tour. When I met with Fred at the Berkeley Flea Market, he began telling me things about JR--things that I already knew or suspected, i.e., that he was a rat and had been taking advantage of Fred and Malcolm. (See my interview with Fred Hampton, Jr. on this blog.) Fred said JR was no longer a member of POCC but continued calling himself the Minister of Information of POCC. After my interview with Fred, JR stopped calling himself Minister of Information of POCC.
My ultimate concern with JR was his association with the CEO of Your Black Muslim Bakery, Yusef Bey IV. JR called himself a friend of assassinated Oakland Post editor Chauncey Bailey. But the night before Bailey was assassinated, the Oakland police recorded three phone conversations between JR and Bey IV while the latter was parked in front of Bailey's house near Lake Merritt. I could not understand why a fellow journalist would not call his colleague to tell him a hit squad was outside his house, rather JR was talking with the killers who were untimely convicted of Bailey's murder.
And so my concern heightened about JR's association with "Little Malcolm". I still did not want to meet with him due to my own trauma over his grandparents. When the Fred Hampton, Jr. interview hit the internet, Malcolm wrote me on Facebook, asking why I said those things about him. I replied that I didn't say anything about him, I only repeated what Fred had said. This was the only time Malcolm and I communicated.
By the time his young life was ended in Mexico City, only then did I realize how much he was like my own son who had taken his life at 39. Abdul El Muhajir (Darrel P. Jackmon) graduated in Arabic and Middle Eastern Literature from University of California, Berkeley. (We learned "Little Malcolm" wanted to attend UCB.) My son had studied at the American University in Egypt and attended the University of Damascus, Syria on a Fulbright fellowship. He had traveled to Brazil, Japan, Africa and Europe, and did graduate work at Harvard. "Little Malcolm" had attempted to visit Iran, but the FBI stopped him as he boarded the plane. My son had studied and fallen in love with Persian literature and Farsi.
After learning that "Little Malcolm" was on journey similar to my son's (RIP), I changed my attitude toward him and realized he was a young man on a mission, trying to overcome many challenges. All this was brought out at his funeral in Oakland. The Imam's question at the funeral was thematic, Why are we here? Indeed, why had Malcolm come to live in Oakland. Of course Oakland is known throughout the world as a radical city. I put Oakland in the tradition of Fallujah, Iraq, a city of resistance that the USA leveled, just as the USA leveled the fighting spirit of Oakland, especially after the birth of the Black Panther Party. So Malcolm had come to join in that tradition, politically and spiritually (he studied under an Imam in Oakland, I think the one who preached his funeral).
Today he shall be buried in New York, near his grandparents. We still don't know all the facts about his murder in Mexico City. Was he lured there by a so called friend? Why would a friend take him to a known din of iniquity? During my second exile from America for refusing to fight in her imperialist war in Vietnam, I lived in Mexico City but never attended such low life bars, though I did visit the poor living in their mud floor homes.
We have yet to hear from the friend, so again, we only know that another young Black man has departed. As Dr. Nathan Hare said on the suicide of my son, "Homicide and suicide are two sides of the same coin." And mental illness, especially manic depression, originates in social oppression. At 29 and 39, "Little Malcolm" and Abdul accomplished a lot, both had done more traveling and study than most young Black men will ever do, so we thank Allah for the time we shared with them. And we pray "Little Malcolm" has found his way to Paradise.
--Marvin X (El Muhajir)
Marvin X speaks tonight on "Little Malcolm". Terry Collins (his stepmother was Ella Collins, sister of Malik El Hajj Shabazz) will interview Marvin X on KPOO-FM, 89.5, www.kpoo.com, 10PM.
Baba Jitu K. Weusi, founder of the National Black United Front
has crossed over to the realm of the Egungun (Ancestors) today.
We are thankful for the contributions he has made to the liberation
of Afrikan People. He will forever be missed and loved. May
Olodumare, the Orishas & Egungun be pleased with his work.
Also see the following:
Marvin X on Jitu
We are thankful to have spoken with Baba Jitu on our last visit to
New York City. He was in the hospital but trying to hold on as
cancer consumed his body but not his soul. May Allah be pleased
with this mighty warrior of Black National Liberation.
Black Panthers and other Histories Video and Audio Recordings
This riveting documentary, “Black Panthers - Huey!”, directed by French filmmaker Agnes Varda transports you to the pivotal Free Huey rally held on February 17th, 1968 (Newton’s birthday), at Oakland Auditorium in Alameda, California. Newton, the charismatic young college student who, along with Bobby Seale, created the Black Panther Party, had been jailed for allegedly killing a police officer. His arrest–widely believed at the time to be a setup–galvanized Party support throughout the nation and led to a boom in Party membership, bringing a new level of public attention to the Panthers’ cause. Over 5,000 people attended the rally, which featured Party leaders and guest speakers including Eldridge Cleaver, Bobby Seale, James Forman, Bob Avakian, Stokely Carmichael, H. Rap Brown and Ron Dellums. Through stark un-editorialized footage, this documentary chronicles the speakers outlining the Party’s platform goals, their strategies for freeing Newton from jail and more. B&W, 31 minutes.
The California Newsreel was an underground alternative to the commercial broadcast media of the 1960’s. This unique clip provides a chilling look at the California racial environment of 1968, including demonstration scenes outside the Alameda County Jail. A rare in-jail interview with Huey P. Newton, is featured, with Eldridge Cleaver and Bobby Seale also offering perspectives on the Panthers and what they perceive as police brutality on the black community. Essential viewing for anyone interested in American or Afro-American history, these two pieces provide an entertaining and educational look at a turbulent, incendiary time. France, 1968, B&W, 15 minutes.
REAL MEDIA (.rm file) Julian Bond talks about the formation of SNCC
REAL MEDIA (.rm file) Bob Moses describes the Greenwood Voter Registration Project
REAL MEDIA (.rm file) Fannie Lou Hamer talks about registering to vote
REAL MEDIA (.rm file) Fannie Lou Hamer sings
REAL MEDIA (.rm file) John Winters talks about sit-ins
REAL MEDIA (.rm file) The SNCC (Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee) Freedom Singers: Hold On
REAL MEDIA (.rm file) The SNCC Freedom Singers: We Shall Overcome
Bobby on the Early Days of the Panthers RealVideo (.rm file)
Video clip of Free Huey rally, Alameda County jail [From the video Black Panther. RealVideo (.rm file)
01 - On Becoming An Activist.mp3
02 - Race, Class & Incarceration.mp3
03 - Young Black Men & Prison.mp3
04 - Technologies Of Punishment.mp3
05 - The Specter Of Crime.mp3
06 - Political Persecution.mp3
07 - Enemies Are Needed.mp3
08 - Targeting Women.mp3
09 - Anti-Immigrant Rhetoric.mp3
10 - Nike.mp3
11 - The War On Drugs.mp3
12 - Corporations & Patterns Of Immigration.mp3
13 - The Prison Industrial Complex.mp3
14 - Making A Difference.mp3
15 - Who Pays, Who Plays.mp3
16 - What Is To Be Done.mp3
17 - Breaking The Silence.mp3
Marvin X, director of the Community Archives Projects, is seeking Middle Eastern Academic institutions with interest in North American African culture for possible acquisition of the archives
of Dr. Nathan Hare and Dr. Julia Hare, Nadar Ali and Paul Cobb. Dr. Nathan Hare is the father of Black Studies, a sociologist and psychologist. He is the founding publisher of Black Scholar Magazine. His wife Julia Hare is an educator and internationally known speaker. A London newspaper called her the female Malcolm X. Nadar Ali served as director of the Nation of Islam's University of Islam and as director of Imports, heading the Whiting fish project. Paul Cobb is a civil rights leader and publisher of the Oakland Post News Group. The archives are being offered separately and as a package.
As long as America maintains its trillion dollar military budget and remains the number one arms merchant of the world, the blowback shall be slaughter in the hoods and suburbs of America.
Again, Baldwin, "The murder of my child will not make your child safe." Imagine, your president maintains a list of people to murder around the world and we expect peace in America. Poppycock!
Recalling a Girl, 14, Laughing, Before She Was Shot on a Bus
By KIA GREGORY
Published: May 24, 2013
Dr. Greg Carr, Chair, Afro American Studies
Howard University, Washington DC
Marvin X, Agent, Community Archives Project
Good Morning Brother Marvin:
Dr. Nathan Hare on Howard University acquiring the Hare papers:
In consideration of Dr. Greg Carr's expressed desire to acquire the Dr. Nathan Hare and Dr. Julia Hare archives for Howard University, the Community Archives Project, agent for the acquisition of the Hare archives, proposes the formation of an Ad Hoc committee of alumni and friends of Howard University to raise the necessary funds for Howard University to obtain the archives at the earliest possible date.
The asking price of two million dollars reflects not only the value of the archives (approximately 200 cartons) but also the self worth of Dr. Nathan Hare and Dr. Julia Hare who have been denied participating in American academia due to their advanced thinking and profound commitment to the North American African community, despite their centrality in the formation of the discipline known as Black Studies, especially at Howard University and later at San Francisco State University.
We therefore call upon the following to join the Ad Hoc committee to facilitate the acquisition of the Hare papers by Howard University at the earliest possible date:
Dr. Greg Carr, Professor and Chair of Afro American Studies, Howard University
Baba Lumumba, Umoja House, Washington DC
Malik Zulu Shabazz, New Black Panthers, Black Lawyers, Washington DC
Amiri Baraka, poet, playwright, activist, Newark, New Jersey
Paul Cobb, Publisher, Oakland Newspaper Group, Oakland CA
Attorney John Burris, Oakland CA
Dr. Khalid Abdullah Tariq Al Mansour, Houston TX
Muhammida El Muhajir, Sun in Leo Productions, Brooklyn NY
Eleanor Traynor, Professor Emeritus, Howard University
Sonia Sanchez, Professor Emeritus, Temple University, Philadelphia PA
Muhammad Ahmad, Professor, Temple University, Philadelphia PA
Sean Combs, producer, New York City
Ras Baraka, City Councilman, Newark NJ
Dr. Haki Madhubuti, publisher, Third World Press, Chicago ILL
Dr. Dorothy Tsuruta, Professor of Black Studies, San Francisco State University
Judge Henry Ramsey, Jr., Oakland CA
Attorney Kathleen Cleaver, Professor of Law, Emory University, Atlanta GA
Sam Hamod, Professor Emeritus, Princeton University
Dr. Nathan Hare suggests that this committee maintain a status independent of Howard University but have a trust account established that will direct all funds to Howard University for the acquisition of the Hare papers.
Please confirm your participation on this committee and send us any suggestion you feel will facilitate the fundraising effort so Howard can acquire the archives at the earliest possible date. The archives are stored in Oakland CA and are available for viewing by appointment.
Marvin X, M.A.,
The Community Archives Project
339 Lester Ave. #10
Oakland CA 94606
We are so very thankful that videographer Ken Johnson wanted to video Dr. Hare's birthday party as his gift to the Father of Black Studies. We just finished viewing the video, a two DVD set and are overwhelmed with joy at the love that was expressed by those present at Geoffery's Inner Circle in Oakland.
It is indeed therapeutic to see such expressions of Black Love Lives (Nisa Ra term). We thank all those who were present and those who shared the Open Mike for Dr. Hare. This is a video every North American African should have in their video library of conscious events.
All the participants will receive a free copy. You can order the two set DVD from Black Bird Press for $19.95.
Send your donation to Black Bird Press, 339 Lester Ave. #10, Oakland 94606 or call 510-200-4164. We will give you a money back guarantee you will love and treasure the video of this event that was an outpouring of love for one of our greatest scholars, scientists and mental health workers, in short, a revolutionary that has helped us along the road to Black Liberation, he and his dearly beloved wife Dr. Julia Hare.
Dr. Hare's 80th Birthday
A photo essay by Gene Hazzard
Earl and his wife were clients of Dr. Hare. After seeing Dr. Hare, their marriage lasted twenty years.
Bay Area media living legend, Belva Davis and husband, William V. "Bill" Moore, photo journalist extraordinaire
Chair, Social Science Department, Contra Costa College, former client of Dr. Hare. Next to
him is Will Ussery, leader of the Congress of Racial Equality and Director of SF Poverty Program
Donald Freeman of Cleveland, Ohio. Another Donald Freeman is now known as Baba Lumumba in Washington DC. Both men were members of the Revolutionary Action Movement or RAM. Both contributed to the radical magazine SoulBook. Here is the other Donald Freeman in Wash DC with Marvin X:
Marvin X and Baba Lumumba (Donald Freeman), brother of ancestor Mamadou
Lumumba (Kenny Freeman). Playthell falsely claims he sent Mamadou to recruit
Huey Newton and Bobby Seale into the RAM Black Panther Party, which did briefly
exist before the Newton/Seale version, but Playthell's involvement is highly suspect,
certainly Baba has no knowledge of him. Marvin X introduced Eldridge Cleaver to
Bobby Seale and Huey Newton after Cleaver and Marvin X founded the Black House,
political/cultural center in San Francisco, 1967.